The Value of Knowing Christ
Paul wrote that he counted everything as loss when compared to knowing Christ as Lord. Paul uses this passage as another way to point to the priority of Christ. Our relationship with Christ should come before anything, everything, and everyone. The value, he wrote, of knowing Christ as Lord surpasses everything. What value do you place in your relationship with Christ? Some people try to value Jesus only as Savior but not as Lord. However, this valuation is improper. Jesus is either Lord of all or he is not Lord at all in your life. You must receive him as Lord to claim the benefits he offers as Savior.
Paul then gave us a way to keep the mindset of valuing the knowledge of Christ as Lord above all. Paul said he did one thing. Forget the past and press forward. We must forget past guilt. If indeed we have submitted our lives to the Lord, he has forgiven us of our past sin. We must forget the guilt of yesterday. We must forget the grief of yesterday as well. We have all experienced shattered dreams and losses of the past. Paul said to forget those things. Lastly, we must past glory. A lot of people want to live in the glory of yesteryear. However, we should praise God for what he has done in the past and move on. God wants to do more great things in us and around us for his glory, but we cannot move forward if we are living in the past.
In verses 15-16, Paul told us that if we have anything in our lives contrary to this, we should allow God to reveal it to us. Repent of those things which decrease the value of knowing Christ as Lord. Do you put things like work, friends, or even family above Christ? Nothing compares to the value of knowing Christ as Lord.
Announcements for Tuesday, April 21, 2020
- Mark 12:31 Challenge
- Tornado relief items are being collected at the parsonage to be delivered to Hurricane Creek. Items needed include:
- Thursday Devotion at 7 PM
- Drive-in Church Sunday at 9 AM. Please remain in your cars and remember that the building will remain closed.
- The monthly periodicals such as Journey and Home Life have arrived for May. If you would like a copy of any of the monthly literature, please let me know.
- Youth Zoom Meeting Wednesday at 6:30 PM
- DVD Ministry